Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday addressed the nation on coronavirus pendamic. The prime minister's address comes a day after he had chaired a high-level meeting with the chief ministers of various states and Union Territories, over the lockdown in the country.
PM Modi speech highlights:
- Based on the suggestions by states, information related to lockdown 4 will be given to you before 18th May. We will fight Corona and we will move forward.
- Scientists say that Coronavirus will be a part of our lives for a very long time. But we can't let our lives remain confined around Corona. We will wear masks and maintain social distancing but we will not let it affect us. So lockdown 4 will be in a new form with new rules.
- I announce a special economic package today. This will play an important role in the 'Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan'. The announcements made by the govt over COVID, decisions of RBI and today's package totals to Rs 20 Lakh Crores. This is 10% of India's GDP.
- In a world that is fighting life & death, India's medicines today bring a new hope. With these steps, when India is being praised everywhere in the world, every Indian feels proud.
- When India speaks of self-reliance, it does not advocate for a self-centered system. In India's self-reliance there is a concern for the whole world's happiness, cooperation and peace.
- When the crisis started then not even a single PPE kit was manufactured in India, only a few N95 masks were available. Today 2 Lakh PPE kits and 2 Lakh N95 masks are manufactured in India daily.
- Today when the entire world is in crisis, we will have to further firm our resolve, Modi said.
- More than 42 lakh people from different countries have been infected by COVID-19, more than 2.75 lakh people have lost their lives due to the virus. In India too many families have lost their dear ones, I express my condolences to them, PM Modi said.
- We had never seen or heard about such a crisis ever before. This is definitely unimaginable for mankind. This was unprecedented. But humanity will not accept defeat from this virus. We have to not only protect ourselves but also move forward: PM Narendra Modi.
- Prime Minister Modi begins his address by offering condolences to those who lost their lives due to the the COVID-19 pandemic.
The last time the prime minister had addressed the nation was on April 14.
In Monday's video conference, which lasted for nearly six hours, Modi had held extensive discussions on various aspects of the situation arising out of the pandemic and the nationwide lockdown and said the country will have to devise a balanced strategy to revive the economy and deal with COVID-19 with a sharp focus on ensuring that rural areas remain free from the pandemic.
In a similar address to the nation on March 24, PM Narendra Modi had announced lockdown in the country, which had begun on March 25. As on May 12, five days are left for the third phase of the lockdown to end.
The 54-day nationwide lockdown since March 25 to contain the spread of coronavirus is scheduled to end on May 17.
Meanwhile, coronavirus cases in India have crossed the 70,000-mark, while the death toll has almost touched 2,300.