"I'm saddened by the fact that north India has been given more prominence than south India. I'm extremely disappointed and I refuse to accept the award," Janaki told IANS.
The 74-year old veteran made her singing debut in 1957 Tamil film "Vidhiyin Vilayattu". She has crooned over 15,000 songs in a career spanning five decades across all southern languages and in Hindi.
She has a long association with singer S.P. Balasubramanyam. The two have sung more than 1,000 songs together.
She has won four National Awards and the prestigious "Kalamamani" state award of Tamil Nadu.
From Our Network
- Sheetal Dugar, mother of three, and the first Indian woman to own a Lamborghini Huracan
- Wife’s dear hubby: Will Shahid Kapoor miss ‘Udta Punjab’ promotions because of pregnant Mira Rajput?
- Airstrikes kill 23 in Syria, Russia denies involvement
- After Swacch Bharat Cess, Modi govt's Krishi Kalyan tax comes into force from June 1; here’s what it will impact
- Tanmay Bhat’s ‘controversial’ video finally has a reaction from Lata Mangeshkar herself!