A wild tusker was electrocuted to death in Dudhwa buffer zone after it accidentally came into contact with a transformer on Saturday. Manoj Sonkar, deputy director, Dudhwa Tiger Reserve (DTR) said, "A male elephant estimated to be around 40-years-old came into contact with a power department transformer installed in a sugarcane field in Ghola village under Dudhwa buffer zone on Saturday."
"The wild tusker was instantly killed due to electric shock," he added. "A team of doctors from IVRI was called in to carry out autopsy to ascertain the exact cause of death," he said further.
This is the second incident of electrocution of wild tuskers in Dudhwa buffer zone. On July 8, 2011, three wild tuskers-- a male, female and their calf-- were killed due to electrocution.