1. You Are At:
  2. English News
  3. India News
  4. Jammu and Kashmir: Defence Ministry dismisses reports of Army man's abduction in Budgam, says 'he is safe'

Jammu and Kashmir: Defence Ministry dismisses reports of Army man's abduction in Budgam, says 'he is safe'

The incident came to light when the family of Mohammad Yaseen informed police that some people came to their house at Qazipora Chadura took him away.

India TV News Desk India TV News Desk
New Delhi Updated on: March 09, 2019 10:29 IST
Representative News Image
Image Source : PTI

Army jawan reportedly abducted by terrorists in Budgam

In a statement issued over the alleged abduction of the Army jawan, the Defence Ministry on Saturday said the reports of his abduction are incorrect and confirmed that the jawan is safe. 

"Media reports of the abduction of a serving Army soldier (Mohammad Yaseen) on leave from Qazipora, Chadoora, Budgam (Jammu and Kashmir) are incorrect. Individual is safe. Speculations may please be avoided," the ministry said. 

In an escalation to the tensions in Jammu and Kashmir, an Army jawan, who had gone home on a vacation, was reported missing from central Kashmir's Budgam district Friday evening. According to officials, police had earlier suspected that he could have been abducted by a terror group. 

The incident came to light when the family of Mohammad Yaseen informed police that some people came to their house at Qazipora Chadura took him away. 

Last year in June, terrorists had kidnapped and shot dead one Aurangzeb - a rifleman with 44 Rashtriya Rifles, while he was travelling in a private vehicle, on his way home in Poonch to celebrate Eid with his family.

Aurangzeb's murder was followed by the killing of two policemen and a CRPF jawan when they were home on leave.

The state has been tense following the February 14 Pulwama terror attack, in which 40 CRPF jawans were martyred. 

Write a comment