The Belgium striker met a left-wing corner with a downward header that bounced high into the net in the 80th minute, earning his team only its third victory in 14 matches.
The goal settled a scrappy game between two teams that are set to be involved in a relegation battle this season. Reading stayed second from bottom but is now just four points clear of Queens Park Rangers, which drew 0-0 at Sunderland.
Benteke had a weak shot saved and Brett Holman blazed over with Villa's other good chances.
Reading is without an away win in seven matches since returning to England's top flight.
From Our Network
- Chris Gayle's Sixer Breaks Girl's Nose In Bangalore
- IPL 2016: Major setback for KXIP as Shaun Marsh ruled out due to injury
- Leicester City wins EPL title for first time in 132-year history
- Pak all-rounder Abdul Razzaq blames former coach Waqar for team’s downfall
- Spectators sing the birthday tune for Virat Kohli in Mohali
- AgustaWestland scam: ‘AP’ note authentic, says Italy judge
- Panama Papers leak: After Bachchans, Ajay Devgan's name surfaces
- Rishi Kapoor talks about son Ranbir’s love affairs and prospective ‘daughter-in-law’
- Keenan-Reuben case: All 4 convicts awarded life imprisonment till death
- KRK has something to say about Karan Singh Grover’s third marriage with Bipasha Basu