The other semifinal on Friday will be between Australia and West Indies.
India recovered from 36 for 3 to post 152/5 in the alloted 20 overs, with none of the major batsmen, except Suresh Raina performing well.
In order to enter the semifinals, India had to restrict South Africa to 121 runs to get their net run rate ahead of Pakistan's +0.273. Before the start of the match, India were stuck at -0.452.
India stood a good to slim chance to enter the semis. Suresh Raina scored 45 runs off 34 balls while Yuvraj Singh made 21 runs off 15 balls. Captain MS Dhoni was unbeaten at 23 runs off 13 balls.
South Africa today appeared to be bent on crashing India's hopes to enter the semifinals.
Indian bowlers shone but it was too late. Zaheer Khan took 3 wickets for 22 runs, while L Balaji took 3 wickets for 37 runs.
It was South African F du Plessis who hit 65 runs and spoiled India's chances of making it to the semis. He hit six fours and two sixes.
From Our Network
- No faith in climate prevailing in country: Full text of Vijay Mallya’s letter to Rajya Sabha Ethics Committee
- Watch: Akshay, Riteish, Abhishek got into a car and humorously ruined a classic Hindi song
- After Jennifer Winget, Karan Singh Grover’s first wife Shraddha Nigam speaks up on his wedding with Bipasha Basu
- Shekhar Suman comes out in support of Adhyayan, says ‘Kangana hypnotized my son with supari and coins’
- What Jacqueline and Sidharth have to say on the burning Hrithik-Kangana controversy