Los Angeles, Feb 7: After what felt like an eternity, Frederic Prinz von Anhalt emerged into the foyer of the old-fashioned mansion he shares with his wife of 25 years, former glamour queen Zsa Zsa Gabor.
The self-proclaimed German prince held a chocolate birthday cake he said was a gift from celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck. Smoke from the candles, now out, still drifted in the air.
Surrounded by paintings and photographs depicting Gabor when she was a sassy Hungarian actress, a few dozen guests quietly sippsed champagne and mingled in the common areas of the home overlooking the twinkling lights of Los Angeles.
But Gabor was nowhere to be seen—apparently celebrating her 95th birthday behind closed doors on this Monday evening. Von Anhalt presented the cake to his bedridden beloved out of sight from partygoers.
Gabor has had numerous health problems for nearly two years: a broken hip, a leg amputated because of gangrene, the other leg nearly amputated, blood clots, infections, pneumonia, a loose feeding tube. But that didn't stop the publicity-loving von Anhalt from throwing a good party in her honor.
“This night is only a celebration of my wife's life,” he proclaimed.
Pianist Rei Williams filled the air with tunes such as “Wind Beneath My Wings” and “Moon River.” A young male singer who bears a striking resemblance to Justin Bieber named Caleb—just Caleb—lounged near the pool.
Gabor may not know what's going on outside her bedroom door, but she can feel the energy, von Anhalt said.
He said she's getting better. He said she wants to live.
From Our Network
- Narasimha Rao's 'pro-Hindu mindset' led to Babri demolition: Mani Shankar Aiyar
- Before ‘Meri Pyaari Bindu’, Parineeti Chopra will hit silver screen with this movie
- Priyanka Chopra speaks up on working in Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s ‘Padmavati’
- Venkaiah Naidu lashes out at Air India after his flight is delayed, AI orders probe
- Former Home Secretary GK Pillai knew of changes in Ishrat affidavit, says one-man inquiry panel