Congress president Rahul Gandhi and Union Minister Smriti Irani are all set to take the political hotbed of Amethi by storm with both the leaders descending the town on Friday. The duo had contested the last Lok Sabha elections from Amethi and are likely to lock horns once again in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections 2019.
In the 2014 poll, though the Union textiles minister was defeated by Gandhi, she maintained her contact with the constituency. She visited it frequently. During these years, she continued to cultivate Amethi, giving enough hints that she may once again contest against Rahul Gandhi in the national elections.
This will be the first visit by the Congress president to his constituency after his party tasted victory in the recent Assembly elections which, many believe, has rejuvenated the party cadre as well as its leaders.
- Rahul will be in Amethi on January 4 and 5
- The Congress chief will meet the people of his constituency, attend public and party reception, hold 'corner meetings' in Salon and visit Pareshdepur, Naseerabad, Paraiya Namaksar and Gauriganj areas on Friday.
- He will also take part in the oath-taking ceremony of the Gauriganj Zila Adhivakta Sangh and inaugurate the Adhivakta Bhawan, built from the MPLAD funds.
- On Saturday, he will travel to Musafirkhana tehsil, Jagdishpur and Tiloyi, where he will meet the family members of late Shiv Pratap Singh, veteran Congress leader who died last week after a prolonged illness, before reaching Lucknow for his onward journey to Delhi.
- Irani, will begin her daylong visit to the Gandhi bastion on Friday.
- Irani will attend a programme organised by Raghav Sewa Sansthan during which blankets and financial assistance will be extended to needy people and a foundation stone for a school will also be laid.
Catch all the latest news about Lok Sabha elections 2019 HERE
(With PTI inputs)