The Taliban on Tuesday warned that the US would lose many more lives in Afghanistan after President Donald Trump approved increasing the number of American troops deployed to the war-torn South Asian country.
"If America doesn't withdraw its troops from Afghanistan soon, Afghanistan will become another graveyard for this superpower in the 21st century," Taliban spokesperson Zabiullah Mujahid said in a statement to Efe news.
He added that the militants will continue their fight until the US quits the country.
"As long as there is one US soldier in our land, and they continue to impose war on us, we, with a high morale, will continue our jihad," said the Taliban leader.
In a televised address on Monday from Fort Myer in Arlington, Virginia, Trump announced that he would be making changes to the US military strategy in Afghanistan, which he has previously criticised.
Trump said that his "original instinct was to pull (US troops) out. And historically, I like following my instincts".
However, Trump went on to say that "the consequences of a rapid exit are both predictable and unacceptable".
"Conditions on the ground, not arbitrary timetables, will guide our strategy from now on," he concluded.
Trump did not specify the number of troops to be deployed to Afghanistan, saying that "America's enemies must never know our plans. I will not say when we are going to attack. But attack we will".
According to a report released by the US' Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction this month, the war in the country has remained stagnant, with the Taliban still controlling around 40 per cent of the country.