Live tv
search
  1. You Are At:
  2. English News
  3. India
  4. Agnipath: Tri-services chiefs to meet PM Modi today, likely to brief on new recruitment scheme

Agnipath: Tri-services chiefs to meet PM Modi today, likely to brief on new recruitment scheme

The Agnipath Scheme was launched last week on June 14 but ever since its announcement was made, aspirants, and armed forces job seekers, have been protesting against the policy.

Shashwat Bhandari Written by: Shashwat Bhandari @ShashBhandari New Delhi Updated on: June 21, 2022 6:09 IST
Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Image Source : PTI

Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Highlights

  • Chiefs of Army, Navy and Air Force are likely to meet PM Modi separately
  • They will brief Prime Minister Modi about the new Agnipath Scheme, amid protests in the country
  • PM at an event in Bengaluru said new reforms may seem unfair initially but can benefit in long run

Agnipath Scheme: Tri-services chiefs including Army, Navy and Air Force will separately meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday to hold discussions on the new recruitment policy in the armed forces.

ANI said quoting government sources that services chiefs will meet the Prime Minister on June 21 separately and are likely to brief him on the Agnipath scheme.

The Agnipath Scheme was launched last week on June 14 but ever since its announcement was made, aspirants, and army job seekers, have been protesting against the policy. The protests in several states including Bihar, Jharkhand, and UP among others turned violent where angry mobs damaged public property including railway stations, and set trains, and buses on fire. In some places, protesters even attacked BJP leaders' residences.

The protest over the new Agnipath Scheme has been mainly on one of its clauses which is that every new recruit who will be called Agniveer will retire after 4 years in service, with no pension.

Aspirants are concerned about their future, and job security asking what will they do after 4 years of service in the armed forces.

However, the Centre announced that 25 per cent of Agniveers will be absorbed permanently while the remaining 75 per cent will retire with around Rs 11 lakh in bank, a pack of skill set to further shine their career, among other benefits.

On Monday, Defence Ministry personnel from all three services in a presser explained in detail the new Agnipath Scheme and the reasons behind its implementation. 

Prior to this, Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh had met tri-services chiefs amid continuing protests in the country.

With the Agnipath scheme facing protests, the BJP asserted on Monday that the three services' joint press conference on the issue has left no room for any doubt and urged the youth to make use of the "good opportunity" to be part of the armed forces.

ALSO READAgnipath: PM Modi says many decisions, reforms look unfair initially but benefits country in long run

ALSO READ | Agnipath: Army issues notification for Agniveers' recruitment, registration to open from July

Latest India News