The apex court bench of Chief Justice Altamas Kabir and Justice J. Chelameswar held that it was only the union of India that had the jurisdiction to hold the trial of the two marines Massimilano Latorre and Salvatore Girone.
However, the court said the central government, in consultation with the chief justice, will set up a special court to hold the trial.
The Italian government will be free to raise the question that it had the jurisdiction to conduct the trial of these two Italian marines in their country.
Upon raising this issue of jurisdiction, the special court will decide the question whether the government of India or the Italian government has the jurisdiction to conduct the trial of the two marines under the Marine time Law.
Two Italian marines, Chief Master Sergeant Massimilano Latorre and Sergeant Salvatore Girone, on board the Italian cargo vessel Enrica Lexie had shot dead two Indian fishermen Feb 15 last year suspecting them to be pirates.
From Our Network
- Aishwarya has something to say about her and Salman’s romantic film ‘Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam’
- Will Narendra Modi do a Khattar in Jharkhand?
- 90's vs Present: 7 life posters to compare both eras, #5 is a must watch!
- Pranab Mukherjee recalls Indian support to China's UN membership
- Happy Holidays: Superstar Rajinikanth chilling in US with family