Live tv
search
  1. You Are At:
  2. English News
  3. India
  4. MCD comes up with helpline to counter 'misconceptions' about anti-encroachment drives

MCD comes up with helpline to counter 'misconceptions' about anti-encroachment drives

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had said demolition drives in Delhi will render 63 lakh people homeless and it will be the "biggest destruction" in Independent India, while accusing the BJP of "misusing" power.

Abhro Banerjee Edited by: Abhro Banerjee @AbhroBanerjee1 New Delhi Published on: May 26, 2022 20:19 IST
MCD gets a new helpline number for anti-encroachment drives
Image Source : PTI

MCD gets a new helpline number for anti-encroachment drives

The Municipal Corporation of Delhi has come up with a helpline number to counter "misconceptions" about demolition drives being carried out in the capital. The civic body issued the number on Thursday, where people can seek clarification over its encroachment removal actions, said officials. 

The move comes after Aam Aadmi Party alleged the MCD was "targeting the poor" through demolition drives across the city. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had on May 16 held a meeting with all AAP MLAs and asked them to oppose such demolition drives. 

Kejriwal had said demolition drives in Delhi will render 63 lakh people homeless and it will be the "biggest destruction" in Independent India, while accusing the BJP of "misusing" power.

A public notice issued in this regard said a "misleading campaign" has been launched recently that the civic body will demolish buildings and shops in unauthorised colonies.

"It is hereby clarified that MCD has no such plans. The encroachments in parks and roads are only being removed as the people of Delhi have a right to clear and clean road, parks and hygienic surroundings ... For any clarification/information in this regard, one may contact Directorate of Press & Information mobile number 9999611008," it said.

The notice said the MCD is in service of the people of Delhi and will always be.

"The citizens are requested to not fall prey to any such misleading campaign," the civic body said in the notice. An MCD official said the need to issue such a notice arose because the opposition parties were building a "false narrative" of MCD targeting the poor in the garb of encroachment drives.

"These allegations are not true. Encroachment removal actions are planned only to free occupied government land and roads. In case of doubt, people can call on the given number to get clarity on any encroachment or demolition drive conducted in their area," the official said.

Earlier this month, a series of anti-encroachment drives were conducted by the erstwhile north, east and south civic bodies in different parts of the city, including violence-hit Jahangirpuri, Shaheen Bagh, Madanpur Khadar, New Friends Colony, Mangolpuri, Rohini, Gokulpuri, Lodhi Colony, Janakpuri, Hari Nagar among others.  

Civic authorities had to face opposition from locals against the drive-in Shaheen Bagh, Madanpur Khadar, and Jahangirpuri. The AAP had accused the BJP, which earlier used to rule the three municipalities, of targeting the poor through such drives.

On Wednesday, the MCD carried out an anti-encroachment drive in southwest Delhi's Naraina Industrial Area as officials reached the spot with bulldozers and removed illegal temporary structures including Dhabas, shops and kiosks. AAP leader Durgesh Pathak targeted the MCD over the drive in Naraina Industrial Area and alleged that the civic body "demolished" several shops without even giving notice to shopkeepers.

Also Read: Delhi gets unified MCD after a decade

 

Latest India News