A brawl that started over bike parking developed into full-fledged communal clash in Delhi’s Chandni Chowk area. Several injuries were reported when a group of men forced their way through a 100-year-old Durga temple, completely vandalizing it.
There was stone-pelting which in turn added to chaos and scuffle which resulted in further injuries.
Here's what happened in Hauz Qazi, Chandni Chowk:
- The issue began over space for parking of a bike outside a temple.
- Arguments between two individual turned physical when group of men from one side bashed up the other.
- This group then went on to vandalise the temple around 10:00 PM on Sunday.
- The locals who saw their temple vandalised protested against this and called for strong action against those responsible.
- The protest carried on till the Monday morning.
- A group of people from another community gathered and started pelting stones at the protesters.
- This was the moment when the protesters also turned violent and there was a scuffle between the two groups where several people where injured.
- The police has since tried to maintain calm in the area by increasing the security.
- The investigation into what happened is on-going and will soon see the culprits punished.
- A video surfaced online which purportedly showed a man allegedly being beaten up by some people, who were suspected to be drunk, over a parking issue.
- Senior police officials said three separate cases have been registered in connection with the incident.
India Tv appeals to all people in the area to maintain order and cooperate with the law enforcement agencies
The story has been updated to remove the representational image, earlier carried in the story.