The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Goa made big gains in the Zilla Panchayat elections, winning 32 out of 49 seats on offer, while the opposition Congress performed poorly, bagging just four. Voting took place on December 12 in 48 constituencies in the state's Zilla Panchayats which have a total of 50 seats. While the BJP had won unopposed in one seat, election in another constituency was countermanded due to death of a candidate.
In the results announced on Monday, the BJP won 32 seats, Independents seven, the Congress four, the MGP three while the NCP and the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) bagged one each.
The AAP won its first-ever seat in an election in the coastal state, where the Arvind Kejriwal-led party is aiming to contest on a majority of constituencies in the 2022 assembly polls. Goa has a 40-member assembly.
Chief Minister Pramod Sawant expressed happiness over the BJP's poll performance in the rural belt of the tourist state. "I humbly bow down before the people of Goa for the trust they have reposed in the Bharatiya Janata Party as well as the Govt of Goa working under my leadership. Let us shape a glorious and Swayampurna (self-reliant) Goa by taking ahead the same trust and confidence," he tweeted.
A low 56.82 per cent voter turn-out was recorded in Zilla Panchayat elections held in 48 constituencies in Goa on Saturday. The Goa State Election Commission (SEC) said there was 58.43 per cent voting in North Goa district and 55 per cent in South Goa district.
The BJP, Congress and AAP have officially fielded their panels for the elections being fought on party symbols. This was the first election in Goa since the coronavirus pandemic began.
Goa Zilla Panchayat election results:
- Maem: BJP’s Shankar Anant Chodankar wins
- Chimbel: BJP candidates Guirish Pundolica Uscoikar wins
- Mayem: BJP’s Shankar Chodankar wins
- Colva: NCP candidate Vania Baptista wins
- Guirdolim: BJP’s Sanjana Sanjay Velip wins
- Aldona (North Goa): BJP's Manisha Mahesh Naik wins
- Cola: BJP candidate Shanu Shankalu Velip wins
- Betqui-Candola: BJP candidate Shramesh Sukdu Bhosle wins
- Sanvordem: Suvarna Tendulkar wins (BJP)
- Sirsai: BJP candidate Diksha Dilip Kanolkar wins
- Karapur-Sarvan: BJP nominee Mahesh Anant Sawant
- Nuvem: Congress candidate Assuciana Rodrigues wins
- Taleigao: Anjali Gajanan Naik wins (BJP)
- Cortalim: Antonio Vas (Independent)
- Davorlim: BJP candidate Ulhas Yeshwant Tuenkar wins
- Usgao-Ganje: BJP's Umakant Gawde wins
- Xeldem: Shidharth Shriniwas G Dessai of BJP wins
- Arambol: Ranganath Kalshavkar wins (Independent)
- Colvale: Kavita Kiran Kandolkar (Independent) wins
- Siolim: BJP candidate Sanisha Toraskar wins
- Santa Cruz: Congress candidate Shiny Emilda de Oliveira wins
- Raia: Domnic Minguel Gaonkar wins (Independent)
- Latambarcem: Pradip Shantaram Revodkar wins (Independent)
- Honda: BJP candidate Sagun Sitaram Vadkar wins
- Querim: Devayani Devidas Gawas of BJP wins
A total of 2,27,916 male and 2,21,972 women voters exercised their franchise. Out of 50 ZP constituencies, polling did not take place in two. Polling was canceled in Navelim due to the death of a candidate, while in Sancoale, the BJP candidate won unopposed.