Cameron Bancroft, who was suspended for his role in the ball-tampering scandal in Cape Town earlier this year, could return to competitive cricket on December 30.
Bancroft, who was the chief offender in the saga that unfolded during the third Test versus South Africa, was handed a nine-month ban by Cricket Australia after a probe and it ends on December 29.
The 26-year-old therefore will be eligible to play for Perth Scorchers in the Big Bash League (BBL) in their fourth match of the tournament against Hobart Hurricanes on December 30 in Launceston.
And Scorchers coach Adam Voges hinted that the right-hand batsman will be drafted into the XI straight away until and unless there are any combination changes.
"I see a real possibility that he'll come straight back in for that game. A lot will just depend on how we're going at the time. There'll be some opportunity for a number of our other batsmen in those first three games and much will be dependent probably on how they go." Voges said on the latest episode of The Unplayable Podcast.
"But I thought Cam, when he played for the Scorchers last year, he did a really good job, batted at three and played some really good innings for us.
"He's an important part of our squads in all forms of the game, so I see him certainly putting his hand up to come straight back in," added Voges.
He, however, will miss the first three games against Melbourne Renegades (December 20), Sydney Sixers (December 22) and Adelaide Strikers (December 26).
Voges also backed him to do well and said that he will be ready to go from the word go.
"One thing I do know about Cam is he'll be prepared. I know he won't have played any high-level competitive cricket for a period, but it certainly hasn't stopped him from trying to improve.
"He'll be ready to go," said Voges.
But, Steve Smith and David Warner will not be able to make a comeback as they were handed a 12-month ban by the board for being involved in the ball-tampering scandal.
Both Smith and Warner, however, have been playing in various T20 competitions around the globe as well as Grade cricket in Australia to stay in touch.
The pair will also miss Australia's series against India due to the suspension but are likely to play in the Indian Premier League next year, which starts in March.