Ahmedabad: A convict in the 2002 Gulbarg society massacre case, who had jumped the temporary bail granted to him in December last year, today surrendered before a special SIT court here.
Kailash Dhobi is one of 11 persons convicted for murder and other offences, and is listed as accused number 1 by the SIT in the Gulbarg society case in which 69 persons, including former Congress MP Ehsan Jafri, were killed.
"Kailash Dhobi was evading arrest after jumping bail. He is named as accused number 1 and is convicted of murder and other offences. Today he surrendered before Special SIT Judge P B Desai," special public prosecutor R C Kodekar said.
The convict was sent in judicial custody by the court.
The special SIT court today said that it will pronounce the quantum of sentence for 24 convicts in the Gulbarg Society massacre case on June 17.
Dhobi, who was arrested in 2002 and was behind bars for nearly 14 years, was granted temporary bail in December last year by the high court on health grounds and subsequently given two extensions.
On June 2, a special SIT court had convicted 24 of the 66 accused in the 2002 Gulbarg society massacre case that killed 69 people including former Congress lawmaker Ehsan Jafri. The court had also acquitted 36 of the accused in the case including sitting BJP corporator Bipin Patel.
Special Court Judge PB Desai had also dropped the conspiracy charge (120 B) against all the accused. Out of the 66 accused, six had died during the trial. Of the 24 convicted today, 11 have been charged with murder, while other 13 have been convicted for lesser offences.