Marseille, France, Feb 23: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France and Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia won in straight sets Wednesday to advance to the quarterfinals of the Open 13.
The top-seeded Tsonga did not face any break points, winning 36 of his 41 service points to beat Nicolas Mahut 6-3, 6-2.
Tsonga took a 3-0 lead in the first set and broke Mahut twice in the second. He will next play Edouard Roger-Vasselin, who cruised past Flavio Cipolla of Italy 6-3, 6-0.
Roger-Vasselin won the last eight games and broke Cipolla three times in each set.
The third-seeded Tipsarevic saved six break points to oust Belgian qualifier David Goffin 6-4, 6-2.
Tipsarevic slammed an ace to take the first set and clinched victory with a forehand pass down the line. He will meet Ivan Ljubicic, who beat Karol Beck of Slovakia 6-4, 7-6 (1).
The seventh-seeded Croat cracked 15 aces. Beck was broken at 5-4 to lose the opening set before dropping the second on a tiebreaker.
In the first round, Alexandr Dolgopolov rallied to beat Lukas Rosol of the Czech Republic 2-6, 7-6 (1), 6-3. The sixth-seeded Ukrainian broke for a 3-1 lead in the final set and will next face Michael Llodra of France, who defeated Swiss qualifier Marco Chiudinelli 7-6 (2), 7-6 (3).
Llodra, a 2010 champion, had 12 aces in his victory.
From Our Network
- The Kapil Sharma Show Vs Colors: Humour wins over historical saga of Bajirao-Mastani; features among Top 5 shows
- My name is Malaika Arora and I am not a ‘KHAN’: Arbaaz’s wife keen on dropping her surname
- Shilpa Shetty and Raj Kundra celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary today (view pics)
- KRK has something to say about Karan Singh Grover’s third marriage with Bipasha Basu
- A tour to professional tattoo and body piercing studio "Irezumi"