Ponting told reporters here that the match starting Friday would be his 168th and last.
"It struck me only a few weeks ago that my preparation was good as it'd been. But my performance hadn't been good enough for the team. I'm very comfortable with the decision I've made. Timing-wise it's the right time, at the end of a series. There's not much more I can give," said Ponting.
From Our Network
- 'Airstrikes on Pak': Jammu Kashmir BJP asks centre to call off talks with Pakistan
- Liver transported through green corridor travels 210 km in 3.36 hours, saves life
- Former Home Secretary GK Pillai knew of changes in Ishrat affidavit, says one-man inquiry panel
- NSG row: Indians are self-centered and low on morals, says Chinese state media
- ‘Just wanted to pass, Papa ne to top hi kara diya’, says arrested Bihar 'topper' Ruby Rai