Aimed at paving the way for the return of the Congress-led United Progresive Alliance for a third consecutive term in 2014, the conclave is expected to draw a roadmap for the party to counter the BJP in the assembly polls and the Lok Sabha elections.
"We need a strategy to counter the main opposition (BJP) in the assembly polls and the general elections," a senior Congress leader who did not wish to be named told IANS.
Assembly elections are due this year in Delhi, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh. While the Congress rules in Delhi and Rajasthan, the BJP is in power in the other three states.
Four states in the northeast - Meghalaya, Nagaland, Tripura and Mizoram - are also set to vote for new assemblies but there no direct Congress-BJP challenge here.
From Our Network
- 'Kim Yo-jong ka Swayamvayar': North Korean dictator turns matchmaker for his sister
- Successful, suicidal and the boyfriend connection: What actresses’ death reveal about the glamour world
- Kapil Sharma vs Bajirao Mastani: Who won the battle of TRP’s last Saturday?
- Delhi: Pay upto Rs 500 extra electricity bill from this month
- 2nd anniversary celebrations: Govt ropes in Amitabh Bachchan to host five-hour event at India Gate on May 28