Aimed at paving the way for the return of the Congress-led United Progresive Alliance for a third consecutive term in 2014, the conclave is expected to draw a roadmap for the party to counter the BJP in the assembly polls and the Lok Sabha elections.
"We need a strategy to counter the main opposition (BJP) in the assembly polls and the general elections," a senior Congress leader who did not wish to be named told IANS.
Assembly elections are due this year in Delhi, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh. While the Congress rules in Delhi and Rajasthan, the BJP is in power in the other three states.
Four states in the northeast - Meghalaya, Nagaland, Tripura and Mizoram - are also set to vote for new assemblies but there no direct Congress-BJP challenge here.
From Our Network
- Humour has vanished from public discourse: PM Modi takes a dig at ‘intolerance’
- Tulsidasji, pranaam – writes ‘prodigal’ science topper Ruby Rai during re-test
- Pak PM Sharif wrote to 17 countries to scuttle India's NSG bid: Aziz
- Turkey president apologises to Vladmir Putin over death of Russian Pilot
- Post her divorce, Karisma Kapoor is eager for comeback on silver screen