The militants attacked the Bacha Khan Airport in Peshawar around 8.30 p.m.
According to local media reports, five rockets were fired by the militants at the airport and two of them hit the runaway.
Five attackers were among the dead and over 40 others were injured, Xinhua reported.
All international and domestic flights were cancelled following the attack.
The attack was in response to a recent military operation in the area, the army said.
The airport authorities said all their assets were safe.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf condemned the attack.
From Our Network
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- Chart prepared! Don't worry, you can still book train tickets
- ISIS executes 250 women for refusing to be sex slaves: Report
- Haryana government rechristens Gurgaon as Gurugram, Mewat as Nuh
- Now job reservations in private sector also ?
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special