The militants attacked the Bacha Khan Airport in Peshawar around 8.30 p.m.
According to local media reports, five rockets were fired by the militants at the airport and two of them hit the runaway.
Five attackers were among the dead and over 40 others were injured, Xinhua reported.
All international and domestic flights were cancelled following the attack.
The attack was in response to a recent military operation in the area, the army said.
The airport authorities said all their assets were safe.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf condemned the attack.
From Our Network
- Sun ‘going blank’, Earth heading towards mini ice age
- What? Pulkit Samrat is ‘too busy’ to divorce Salman Khan’s rakhi sister Shweta Rohira?
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet clears 23.5 pc salary hike for central govt employees
- Vin Diesel shares his wonderful moments with Pauline and Deepika
- Shahid at it again: This gesture of him for wife Mira will make other husbands angry