The militants attacked the Bacha Khan Airport in Peshawar around 8.30 p.m.
According to local media reports, five rockets were fired by the militants at the airport and two of them hit the runaway.
Five attackers were among the dead and over 40 others were injured, Xinhua reported.
All international and domestic flights were cancelled following the attack.
The attack was in response to a recent military operation in the area, the army said.
The airport authorities said all their assets were safe.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf condemned the attack.
From Our Network
- "Ek Nayi Subah": Criticism comes from people affected by curbing of corruption, says PM Modi
- Had 10 seconds to make the final call: Pilot of air ambulance which crash-landed in Delhi
- Kanpur shocker: Bankrupt man puts wife at stake in IPL bet, loses her
- Pakistan can target Delhi from Kahuta in five minutes, says father of Pakistan's nuclear programme
- Sanitary Napkins should be provided in rural toilets: Uma Bharti