David Coleman Headley's meticulous scouting missions facilitated the assault by 10 gunmen from a Pakistani-based militant group, which killed 160 people -- including children.
"I don't have any faith in Mr. Headley when he says he's a changed person and believes in the American way of life," said U.S. District Judge Harry Leinenweber in imposing the sentence, which was in the range of what prosecutors had requested for Headley's widespread cooperation.
The attackers arrived by boat on Nov. 26, 2008, carrying grenades and automatic weapons, and fanned out to hit multiple targets, including a crowded train station, a Jewish center and the landmark Taj Mahal Hotel. TV cameras captured much of the three-day rampage live.
The attack heightened the strain in a historically antagonistic relationship between India and Pakistan, which have fought three major wars. Indian officials accuse Pakistani intelligence of helping to plan the assault -- an allegation Pakistan denies.
The maximum sentence Headley, 52, faced Thursday was life in prison. He agreed to cooperate with U.S. authorities and plead guilty in 2010 to 12 counts to avoid what would have been his maximum sentence: death. He also secured a promise not to be extradited to India.
Late year, India secretly hanged the lone surviving gunman, Mohammed Ajmal Kasab.
Citing what they described as valuable intelligence Headley provided authorities about terrorist networks since his arrest, prosecutors had asked for a relatively lenient sentence of between 30 and 35 years.
The charges included conspiracy to aid the Pakistani-based group, Lashkar-e-Taiba, that mounted the attacks, as well as conspiracy to commit murder in India and aiding and abetting in the murder of six Americans.
From Our Network
- 'David Cameron won't say sorry for calling Trump stupid, divisive'
- Bihar storm: Six of the family electrocuted in their house
- At $62 million, UN owes India most for peacekeeping contribution
- 11 important facts you should know about Ravana
- Exclusive pic of Asaram Bapu ashram in Jodhpur, where girl alleges she was raped
- Amitabh Bachchan requests Kangana Ranaut to recommend his name in her next movie?
- Will file witness list in National Herald case: Swamy to Delhi court
- Bajirao Mastani: Top 10 dialogues which will give you goosebumps
- West Bengal polls over, Mamata confident but high voter turnout gives hope to Congress-left alliance
- 5 interesting facts about Dinesh Karthik & Dipika Pallikal's wedding