South African President Jacob Zuma made the announcement at a news conference late Thursday, saying "we have lost our greatest son."
Lets take a look at the journey of this great leader.
The anti-apartheid hero was on a US terror watch list until 2008 and while still on Robben Island, Britain's late "Iron Lady" Margaret Thatcher described his African National Congress as a "typical terrorist organisation."
That Mandela's image has been transformed so thoroughly is a testament to the man's achievements.
Nelson Mandela was born on 18 July 1918 at Qunu, near Umtata in South Africa. His father was the Chief Councillor to the Superior Chief of the Thembu.
From Our Network
- SEBI on recovery mode, 4700 acres of Sahara's land put on sale
- Shah Rukh Khan avoids Mumbai traffic in the most UNBELIEVABLE way
- To counter Sahara and Sardha like Ponzi schemes, Modi govt may bring a new bill
- UP horror: 15-yr-old girl raped, murdered and tied to tree
- Missing Pakistani boy found in Rajasthan after 2 years