“An explosive-laden car blew up near Bijbehara, resulting in the death of its driver and injuries to 20 civilians,” SSP, Anantnag, R K Jalla said.
Jalla said the militant's target was not known as he was killed in the explosion.
Officials said the blast took place at around 3.15 PM in the crowded town, 45 kms from here, on the Srinagar-Jammu national highway.
The explosion caused panic among people who fled the area, thinking militants had carried out a suicide attack, they said.
The impact of the blast was so powerful that it left the car in a completely mangled state and police was trying to ascertain the registration details and make of the vehicle, they said.
No militant outfit has so far claimed responsibility for the blast which apparently went off prematurely.
The identity of the deceased could not be ascertained as he was blown to pieces in the explosion, the officials said.
From Our Network
- Former IAF chief S P Tyagi cracks, admits meeting Finnmeccanica officials
- Hafiz Saeed spotted near Indo-Pak border, launches mass recruitment drive of terrorists
- Bottled fresh air of Canada in pollution hit India soon, to cost Rs 12.50 per breath
- If you won’t fund F-16 jets, will get them from elsewhere: Pakistan tells US
- Delhi 'most polluted city' of the World: WHO
- Here’s how Mrs. Bipasha Basu Singh Grover is flaunting her marital status
- No faith in climate prevailing in country: Full text of Vijay Mallya’s letter to Rajya Sabha Ethics Committee
- Is Anushka Sharma’s ‘Sultan’ teaser COPIED from this short film?
- Watch: Akshay, Riteish, Abhishek got into a car and humorously ruined a classic Hindi song
- Not Ankita Lokhande’s ‘distrust’ but Sushant Singh Rajput’s ‘disloyalty’ led to their break-up?