- In the last encounter between the two rivals, Pakistan beat India by four wickets
- India and Pakistan have faced off each other six times in World Cups
- The pitch is expected to remain under covers for a while
India and Pakistan are set to battle it out in what is being made one of the most hyped-up encounters between the two nations in a recent while.
In the last encounter between the two rivals, Pakistan beat India by four wickets during Asia Cup. As far as World Cup encounters are concerned, India and Pakistan have faced off each other six times, and India have reigned supreme five times. It was only during the last T20 World Cup that Pakistan came into their own and beat the Men in Blue by 10 wickets.
Before we deep dive into all the action, here is everything you need to know about the venue of the match - Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Although the pitch at Melbourne Cricket Ground is one of the most balanced surfaces in the world, rain may tilt the scales in favour of the bowlers.
The pitch is expected to remain under covers for a while, and that might mean moisture for the seamers to work with. If the reports indeed turn out to be true, Shami and Afridi will rule the roast.
Will Toss Matter?
Toss will become a huge factor if the pitch remains under covers. Whoever wins the toss would want to bowl first and make first-hand use of the moisture on offer as the ball is expected to swing and seam around.
India's Record at MCG
India have played 4 matches at the MCG. All of them have come against Australia. They have won two, lost one, and one was washed out.
T20Is at MCG
- Total matches: 18
- Won batting first: 7
- Matches won bowling first: 10
- Average 1st Inns scores: 139
- Average 2nd Inns scores: 127
- Highest total recorded: 184/4 by AUSW vs INDW
- Lowest total recorded: 74/10 by IND vs AUS
- Highest score chased: 172/5 by SL vs AUS
- Lowest score defended: 127/10 by AUS vs PAK