The gangrape and murder of a 19-year-old Dalit woman in Uttar Pradesh's Hathras has shook India, putting spotlight once again on the vulnerability of women in India. The case, involving brutal rape of the girl, has triggered protests throughout the country. More so, she was cremated in the dead of the night with family members alleging that they were forced by police to hurriedly conduct the last rites, sparking even more outrage.
Recalling the horrors of the Nirbhaya case, the Dalit teen was allegedly sexually attacked by four men on September 14 and referred on Monday to the Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi with spinal injuries, paralysis and cuts in her tongue. She died around 3 am on Tuesday. The men alleged to be involved in the crime are under arrest and will now face charges under Section 302 (murder) of the Indian Penal Code, according to the Hathras Superintendent of Police Vikrant Vir.
In dramatic scenes on the highway between Delhi and Uttar Pradesh today, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi was detained for defying a ban on large gatherings as he and his sister Priyanka Gandhi Vadra headed to Hathras to meet the family of the gang rape victim who died on Tuesday.
- Congress leaders Rahul Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi, Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, KC Venugopal & Randeep Surjewala being taken to Buddh International Circuit in Gautam Buddh Nagar, after they were detained by UP Police on their way to Hathras.
- UP Police to Rahul Gandhi: "Arresting you under Section 188 IPC"
#WATCH Rahul Gandhi, who has been stopped at Yamuna Expressway on his way to Hathras, asks police, "I want to walk to Hathras alone. Please tell me under which section are you arresting me."— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) October 1, 2020
Police says, "We are arresting you under Section 188 IPC for violation of an order. " pic.twitter.com/uJKwPxauv5
- Photos of Congress leader Rahul Gandhi pushed, shoved by the Uttar Pradesh Police at Yamuna Expressway.
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra shares photo of workers thrashed by police
हाथरस जाने से हमें रोका। राहुल जी के साथ हम सब पैदल निकले तो बारबार हमें रोका गया, बर्बर ढंग से लाठियाँ चलाईं। कई कार्यकर्ता घायल हैं। मगर हमारा इरादा पक्का है। एक अहंकारी सरकार की लाठियाँ हमें रोक नहीं सकतीं। काश यही लाठियाँ, यही पुलिस हाथरस की दलित बेटी की रक्षा में खड़ी होती। pic.twitter.com/lRq9kLSHJz— Priyanka Gandhi Vadra (@priyankagandhi) October 1, 2020
- Noida ADCP Ranvijay Singh says, "Epidemic Act is being violated, won’t allow Congress leaders to proceed forward."
- Rahul Gandhi detained under section 188
- Rahul Gandhi says he was pushed and thrown on ground by the police
पैदल ही हाथरस की ओर बढ़ रहे कांग्रेस कार्यकर्ताओं पर पुलिस ने किया लाठीचार्ज, राहुल गांधी के साथ हुई धक्का-मुक्की pic.twitter.com/SVrRGI4m6Q— India TV (@indiatvnews) October 1, 2020
#WATCH Just now police pushed me, lathicharged me and threw me to the ground. I want to ask, can only Modi Ji walk in this country? Can't a normal person walk? Our vehicle was stopped, so we started walking: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi at Yamuna Expressway,on his way to #Hathras pic.twitter.com/nhu2iJ78y8
- Police lathicharges Congress workers en route to Hathras
- UP CM must take responsibility for safety of women and ensure atrocities against them are stopped: Priyanka Gandhi on Hathras case
- National Commission For Women (NCW) writes to DGP, Uttar Pradesh on Hathras alleged gangrape victim's body being cremated at midnight, seeking an explanation on the urgency to cremate the body of the victim in the absence of the family. NCW asks administration to send their reply
Priyanka Gandhi Vadra along with Congress workers walks along the Yamuna Expressway, after her vehicle was stopped by the authorities.— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) October 1, 2020
She is on her way to Harthras, to meet the family of the 19-year-old who was allegedly gang-raped. pic.twitter.com/1RP8Bvco8G
- The Congress leaders are now way marching on foot to reach Hathras to meet the victim's family.
- Rahul Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi stopped by police at Yamuna Expressway.
- Congress workers in large numbers crowd at Delhi-Noida toll as Rahul, Priyanka Gandhi head to Hathras.
- Hathras SP said that the medical report from Aligarh hospital mentioned injuries but doesn't confirm forced sexual intercourse. "They are waiting for report of Forensics. As of now, doctors say that they're not confirming rape, can give firm opinion only when they get FSL report," he said.
- Meanwhile, a rerun of the Hathras rape case was witnessed in Balrampur where another Dalit woman was drugged and raped. She later succumbed to her injuries while being rushed to a nearby hospital.
- Priyanka Gandhi: "Hathras-like horrific rape happened in Balrampur too. The girl was raped, her legs and back broken. Brutality with little girls in Azamgarh, Baghpat, Bulandshahr. Law is not run by marketing and speeches. CM is accountable. He must answer the people."
- Rahul Gandhi
UP के जंगलराज में बेटियों पर ज़ुल्म और सरकार की सीनाज़ोरी जारी है।— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) October 1, 2020
कभी जीते-जी सम्मान नहीं दिया और अंतिम संस्कार की गरिमा भी छीन ली।
भाजपा का नारा ‘बेटी बचाओ’ नहीं, ‘तथ्य छुपाओ, सत्ता बचाओ’ है।#BalrampurHorror
After Hathras incident, I hoped UP govt will take action against people committing crimes against women. But a similar crime has been committed against a Dalit student in Balrampur. Under BJP's UP govt, criminals, mafias & rapists are having a free run.
- Akhilesh Yadav
हाथरस की मृतका के परिजनों को शासन के मूक आदेश पर प्रशासन ने दौड़ा-दौड़ाकर मारा है. अब जनता भी ऐसे ही इन सत्ताधारियों को दौड़ा-दौड़ाकर इंसाफ़ की चौखट तक खींच के ले जाएगी.— Akhilesh Yadav (@yadavakhilesh) October 1, 2020
भाजपा के कुशासन का असली रंग जनता देख रही है. कपटियों का लबादा उतरते अब देर नहीं लगेगी. #Hathras#NoMoreBJP
- Randeep Singh Surjewala
"Is there law or has it died? Is the government of the Constitution or the criminals? When will this brutality stop?"
- Anil Deshmukh
We saw Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath giving advice to others during the past some months. I suggest him to take care of his state and take strict action against 'jungle raj' prevailing there.
- Sidharth Nath Singh
Why are not they (Congress leaders) visiting Rajasthan? Will Sonia, Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi not give answers on what is happening in Rajasthan? They want to play politics over the issue by visiting the district.