Roddick, who retired at the U.S. Open, was broken once in each set. He dropped the ninth game of the first set at 30-40 on a netted backhand.
Roddick saved a break point in the ninth game of the second set but had no answer for an Almagro forehand crosscourt passing shot at 30-40 in the 11th game.
Almagro lost both times he played Roddick in tour matches. One of those losses came here in Key Biscayne in the 2010 Sony Open quarterfinals.
From Our Network
- Freedom 251: Lucky draw to decide who gets their hands on the ‘world’s cheapest smartphone’
- Freedom 251: Company delays shipping by a week, CEO seeks time with PM Modi for ‘Make In India’ push
- 7th Pay Comm: Cabinet clears 23.5 pc salary hike for central govt employees
- NASA’s discovery of Manganese Oxide on Mars indicates more Earth-like past
- Men, your secret is out: Varun Dhawan just revealed 5 lies men say