Melbourne, Feb 29: Veteran wicketkeeper Brad Haddin has been recalled to Australia's squad for five limited-overs internationals in the West Indies next month.
After being vice-captain of the test team in last month's 4-0 series sweep of India, the 34-year-old Haddin was dropped from the ODI squad for the ongoing tri-series, allowing Matthew Wade a chance at international level. Wad's impressive performances have subsequently kept Haddin out of the squad, but both have been included for five matches in the West Indies from March 16-25.
Haddin, spinner Nathan Lyon and George Bailey were all added Wednesday to the 13-man squad previously selected for the tri-series match against Sri Lanka on Friday, and for the best-of-three finals starting Sunday in Brisbane.
With 21-year-old James Paterson recovering from a foot injury to join the Australian squad earlier this week, there was no room in the tour squads for veteran Ryan Harris or left-arm packman Mitchell Stark. The test squad for the West Indies tour will be announced next month, with Harris and former skipper Ricky Pointing in contention for a return to the national squad in the longer format.
Bailey will lead the 13-man Twenty20 squad in matches on March 27 and 30 in the West Indies because skipper Michael Clark has opted out of T20 cricket.
“This completes a well-balanced squad and it is anticipated that most players will receive good opportunities to show their worth,” chief selector John Inverarity said Wednesday. “Shane Watson and Mike Hussey come back into the T20 squad to provide a great deal of experience and power to the batting line-up.”
Inverarity said veteran legspinner Brad Hogg was not considered for the West Indies tour, but was still in “strong contention” for the World Twenty20 tournament later in the year.
ODI squad: Michael Clarke (captain), Shane Watson (vice-captain), George Bailey, Dan Christian, Xavier Doherty, Peter Forrest, Brad Haddin, Ben Hilfenhaus, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Brett Lee, Nathan Lyon, Clint McKay, James Pattinson, Matthew Wade, David Warner.
T20 squad: George Bailey (captain), Shane Watson (vice-captain), Dan Christian, Xavier Doherty, Peter Forrest, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Brett Lee, Nathan Lyon, Clint McKay, James Pattinson, Matthew Wade, David Warner.
From Our Network
- Ayaz Promised He Wouldn't Speed, Says Azhar's Friend Jwala Gutta
- Watch: 'You're not happy India won', captain cool Dhoni fumes at journalist
- IPL 8: Glenn Maxwell has disappointed himself: George Bailey
- Sachin Tendulkar prays for flood victims, says Chennai is fighting back
- Ahmed Shehzad acted like Afridi's servant: Former PCB chief
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special