Maria has headed probes into 1993 Mumbai blasts and 26/11 attacks on the city.
The decision to appoint Maria, currently the chief of Maharashtra Police's Anti-Terrorism squad, was taken after a high-level meeting here chaired by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and attended by Home Minister R R Patil.
Maria, a 1981 batch IPS officer, headed the probe into the 1993 Mumbai blasts.
He was also in-charge of the investigations into the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai. His appointment comes a fortnight after Satyapal Singh quit as Mumbai Police Commissioner to join BJP.
Singh was the first serving Mumbai Police chief to resign. He was due to retire in 2015.
From Our Network
- Hollywood defeats Bollywood again: Angry Birds sees better opening than three Hindi films
- Indian students bag six awards at Intel competition in US
- Rahul Dravid will do an incredible job as Team India's head coach: Shane Watson
- Not Anushka Sharma but this Bollywood actress was Virat Kohli’s first love interest!
- Pranab Mukherjee recalls Indian support to China's UN membership