London, Mar 21: John Carter is now officially a flop of galactic proportions. Walt Disney Co said on Monday that it expects to book a loss of $200 million on the movie in the quarter through March. That ranks it among Hollywood’s all-time biggest money-losers.
Directed by Pixar’s Andrew Stanton, the 3D effects-laden movie about a civil war veteran transplanted to Mars was already headed to the “Red Ink Planet,” according to Cowen & Co analyst Doug Creutz. Yet he expected a write-down of about half that size.
Disney said John Carter has brought in about $184 million in ticket sales worldwide so far. But ticket sales are split roughly in half with theatre owners. The movie’s production budget is estimated to be about $250 million with about $100 million more spent on marketing.
The movie was based on a series of books written by the late Edgar Rice Burroughs, starting with A Princess of Mars in 1912 and ending with John Carter of Mars, published posthumously in 1964.
The poor reception was a shock given Stanton’s directing success with movies like Finding Nemo and Wall-E, each of which won an Oscar for best animated feature.
For latest news on mobile and tablet, download IndiaTV Android app and iOS app.
Also like IndiaTV's official Facebook page and follow us on Twitter to stay tuned to latest news.