Striking a defiant tone against American attempts to block his company's global ambitions, Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei on Tuesday said the United States "underestimates" the telecom giant's strength.
"The current practice of US politicians underestimates our strength," Ren said, adding "Huawei's 5G will absolutely not be affected. In terms of 5G technologies, others won't be able to catch up with Huawei in two or three years."
Ren's statement comes days after US President Donald Trump issued orders aimed at thwarting Huawei's business in the country, the latest salvo in a months-long effort to stop the company's charge to the top of the leaderboard in next-generation 5G technology.
Last week, Trump had declared a national emergency, empowering him to blacklist companies seen as "an unacceptable risk to the national security of the United States" - a move analysts said was clearly aimed at Huawei.
Also Read | Huawei smartphone will no longer get Android updates from Google
Meanwhile, the Chinese firm is dealing with a blow as Google has cut the phone makers Android updates that will cause Huawei to lose access to popular Google apps.
"Complying with the order and reviewing the implications," Google said in a statement.
Don't lose heart, Congress! Rahul Gandhi may succeed in winning Amethi, Wayanad: India TV-CNX Exit Poll
Huawei, however, has not commented on the issue.
According to a report, Richard Yu, the CEO of Huawei's consumer products division, two months ago had told a German newspaper that the beleaguered Chinese smartphone brand had been prepping a mobile OS as a kind of Plan B if the company ever got cut off by Google from relying on Android.
With this move from Google, the company has lost its Android licence that won't be getting Android updates nor the future handsets would have Google apps or Google Play Store. Also, the new Huawei devices would no longer have apps like YouTube and Maps.