Day after the All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) rejected its executive member Maulana Syed Salman Hussain Nadvi’s compromise formula in Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid case, Nadvi in an exclusive interview to India TV said that he still stands by what he said.
"The temple already exists at the disputed site. Land should be offered at some other place where a mosque and a university could be constructed," Maulana Nadvi had said.
In the interview, Nadvi even said that he was not allowed to speak in AIMPLB working committee meeting held in Hyderabad. "Dictatorship going on in All India Muslim Personal Law Board, the board is being controlled by a few people", he said.
ALSO READ | Ayodhya case: Supreme Court defers hearing till March 14, case to be dealt as 'pure land dispute'
The comments come at a time when the Supreme Court has begun the final hearing in the case. The apex court, while deferring the hearing to March 14, observed that the matter is purely a "land dispute" and it will be dealt with in normal course.
5 THINGS THAT MAULANA NADVI SAID IN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW:
1. After extending support for construction of the Ram temple at the disputed site in Ayodhya and demanding an alternate piece of land for the construction of a mosque, people have started calling me an RSS agent.
2. Won't attend Muslim Personal Law Board meetings from now on as I wasn't allowed to speak in the recent board meeting held in Hyderabad.
3. Nadvi said that he will meet Art of Living founder Sri Sri Ravi Shankar in Ayodhya.
Ayodhya dispute: Members of Sunni Waqf Board, AIMPLB meet Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, express support for out-of-court settlement, says AOL
Ayodhya case: We are in favour of Ram Mandir at disputed site, mosque should be built somewhere else, says AIMPLB's Maulana Nadvi
4. On Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid court judgment, Nadvi said that some people are threatening Muslims with bloodshed.
5. At the board meeting, AIMIM president Asaduddin Owaisi supported the group that was creating ruckus.