Monday, June 10, 2024
Advertisement
  1. You Are At:
  2. News
  3. Fact Check
  4. Fact Check: Atishi did not announce power subsidy cancellation in Delhi, viral video misleading

Fact Check: Atishi did not announce power subsidy cancellation in Delhi, viral video misleading

Fact check: An old video of Atishi was shared in a misleading context to claim that she announced the cancellation of power subsidy in Delhi.

Edited By: Ashesh Mallick @asheshmallick07 New Delhi Updated on: May 25, 2024 12:23 IST
Fact Check
Image Source : X Fact Check

Fact Check by LOGICALLY FACTS: The Verdict [Misleading]

The video turned out to be from 2023 when power minister Atishi held a press conference stating that the scheme will end as the Delhi LG had not given his approval.

What is the claim?

A clip of Delhi’s power minister Atishi stating that the power subsidy in the city will end was shared online before the sixth phase of voting on May 25. The video was overlaid with Hindi text, reading, “Free electricity ends in Delhi. (translated to English)”.

Several users on X shared the clip claiming that the AAP has decided to end the subsidy, urging voters to think about whom to cast their vote for. Archived versions of such posts can be found here, here, and here.

In the 34-second clip, Atishi says, "The power subsidy for 46 lakh families in the national capital ends today, which means from tomorrow subsidized electricity bills will not be provided. Those previously receiving zero bills will see an increase, and those with 50 percent subsidy will face higher bills.”

India Tv - Fact Check

Image Source : X/MODIFIED BY LOGICALLY FACTSScreenshot of claims made online

However, the video turned out to be of a press conference that Atishi held in April 2023 in which she alleged that the Delhi government will have to end the subsidy as LG VK Saxena had not cleared the file.

Discovery in the fact check

In the fact check, a video was found, posted by the Aam Aadmi Party, on its X handle (archived here) on April 14, 2023. In the video, Atishi said that the government would have to end the subsidy and cited the LG’s approval as the reason.

She displayed several letters from electricity distribution companies (discoms) to the government and said that they intend to raise tariffs for the year 2023-2024. She highlighted a letter from Tata Power and said that they will start non-subsidized billing due to the absence of communication about the continuation of power subsidy.

The viral video only includes the first one minute and 20 seconds of the original footage. In the full video, Atishi elaborates on the reasons behind the subsidy withdrawal, which has been omitted from the viral clip.

According to a report by Hindustan Times, the LG’s office denied the claims and said that extension of power subsidy was cleared.

What about the power subsidy in Delhi?

The Delhi government provides free electricity for a monthly consumption of up to 200 units. A 50 percent subsidy is given to those who consume electricity between 201-400 units. The government reportedly pays rupees 3,500 crore per annum for the power subsidy scheme.

The verdict

A trimmed video from April 2023 in which Atishi announces the “end” of power subsidy was shared out of context before the polling in Delhi.

(Disclaimer: This story was originally published by LOGICALLY FACTS, and republished by India TV as part of the Shakti Collective.)

Advertisement

Read all the Breaking News Live on indiatvnews.com and Get Latest English News & Updates from Fact Check

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement