“When you have a suppressed price and you raise that prices, then the people who are paying that higher price will have less money left to buy other things and that will soften the pressure in the market on other prices.
“What is going to happen is that diesel prices are certainly going to rise but the inflation on other prices is going to be reduced...correcting those energy prices will lead to a boost of inflation is basically, in my view is (rpt) is wrong”, he told reporters here.
Satisfied with the government's decision to partially deregulate diesel by permitting oil marketing companies (OMCs) to raise prices by 45-50 paise per month, Ahluwalia said it would end under-recoveries of OMCs towards sale of transport fuel in the next 18 months.
“Basically it (under recoveries in case of diesel) is Rs 9 per litre, and if we adjust that say 50 paise per month, it will take 18 months for diesel to get back to pretty much what we call a market aligned prices...Deficit on diesel will be eliminated in 18 months”, Ahluwalia said.
The Plan Panel Deputy Chief further said that Reserve Bank (RBI) will take into account factors like government's determined action to curb subsidy and the decline in inflation while announcing monetary action in its next policy later in the month.
There is pressure on RBI to cut interest rates in its third quarterly monetary policy to be unveiled on January 29 to arrest contracting industrial production and boost economic growth.
From Our Network
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- Chart prepared! Don't worry, you can still book train tickets
- ISIS executes 250 women for refusing to be sex slaves: Report
- Haryana government rechristens Gurgaon as Gurugram, Mewat as Nuh
- Kashmir firing: Death toll mounts to 3, curfew imposed in Handwara town
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special