“You can keep the diamond ring, it don't mean nothing anyway/ In fact, you can keep everything — except for me,” sings Katy Perry in her latest single, “Part of Me.”
Since Perry's performance at the 54th Grammy awards, many have speculated that the lyrics were about her ex-husband Russell Brand.
However, “Part of Me” first surfaced in 2010, two months after Perry and Brand got married in India.
While she has not yet spoken publicly about the couple's split, she released a statement regarding the rumors about the chart-topping hit and set the record straight with MTV News.
From MTV News:
“I wrote it two years ago, which is funny because everybody is like ‘God, it sounds so current,' ” she told MTV News recently in Los Angeles. “And some people that I work with were like ‘You should just say you wrote it a couple of weeks ago.' I'm like ‘I'm not a d—, I'm going to tell the truth.' I wrote it two years ago when I was writing and recording Teenage Dream, [but] it didn't feel right on the record. I would've had to take out one of my other songs that [made the album] a nice, complete package.”
Perry does acknowledge the eerie resemblance the song has to her personal life.
“I always planned to put it out in the spring of this year, to possibly perform it at a big [awards show], but sometimes I'm like ‘Am I living in ‘The Truman Show?' … what's going on?' ” she laughed. “Because I sit down and I write all these songs at once, all these emotions and feelings and thoughts, and then, like, it just feels like sometimes I'm caught in this movie where my life is paralleling my music! It seems very serendipitous, but, as un-fun as it sounds, I prepare everything. I'm overly prepared and kind of a control freak in the best of ways.”
From Our Network
- Mute spectators deprived us of chance to see our daughter, says murdered Chennai techie’s father
- Former Home Secretary GK Pillai knew of changes in Ishrat affidavit, says one-man inquiry panel
- Are Kylie Minogue-Joshua Sasse planning to get married next month?
- When bullets were closer I hugged and kissed my wife: Eyewitness' chilling encounter with attackers at Istanbul airport
- CBI files two fresh chargesheets against six in Vyapam cases