1. You Are At:
  2. English News
  3. World News
  4. Elderly patient 'ignites like torch'; dies due to surgery blooper in Romania

Elderly patient 'ignites like torch'; dies due to surgery blooper in Romania

Doctors at an operation theatre in Romania accidentally used an electrical scalpel on the patient after which he ignited. Reacting to the incident, the victim's family said the medical staff had mentioned about an incident, but did not furnish any details.

India TV News Desk India TV News Desk
New Delhi Published on: December 31, 2019 13:28 IST
Romania woman dies
Image Source : AP PHOTO

Woman in Romania dies in operation theatre after surgical malfunction

In a bizarre incident, a 66-year-old woman died at the operation theatre on Sunday after being set on fire. The incident was reported from Romania, where surgeons used an electrical scalpel on the patient, despite her being treated with an alcohol-based disinfectant. The woman, a pancreatic cancer patient, received 40 per cent burns on her body in the process. 

According to the information provided by lawmaker Emanuel Ungureanu, contact with the flammable disinfectant caused combustion and the patient "ignited like a torch". Ungureanu also cited medical staff at the capital's Floreasca urgent care hospital.

Further, a nurse threw a bucket of water on the patient to prevent the fire from spreading. 

Reacting to the incident, the victim's family said the medical staff had mentioned about an incident, but did not provide details.

Meanwhile, deputy minister Horatiu Moldovan said, "The surgeons should have been aware that it is prohibited to use an alcohol-based disinfectant during surgical procedures performed with an electric scalpel.

Also Read | Woman offers $7K reward, hires plane in search of stolen dog

Also Read | Pakistani woman dies after being set on fire by husband

Latest World News

Fight against Coronavirus: Full coverage

Write a comment

X