Some of the major recommendations and observations are:
Imminent need to review Armed Forces Special Powers Act in conflict areas ;
Sexual offences by armed forces and uniformed men in conflict areas should be brought under ordinary criminal law ;
Recommends appointment of Special Commissioners with adequate powers to redress complaints of sexual violence against women in conflict areas ;
Ambiguity over the control of Delhi Police should be cleared ;
Delhi gang rape case shows the failures of traffic regulations, maintenance of law and order and dealing of sexual assault cases ;
Every district magistrate should prepare census of missing children ;
Police action on peaceful Delhi protesters scarred Indian democracy .
The committee set up to recommend measures to improve laws dealing with sexual offences, has received around 80,000 suggestions and wrapped up its work within a record 29 days.
India's former Chief Justice J. S. Verma said the failure of governance was the root cause of crimes against women.
From Our Network
- Successful, suicidal and the boyfriend connection: What actresses’ death reveal about the glamour world
- Aha Love! Ash just did Q&A on Twitter and hubby Abhishek had a really important query
- Shilpa Shetty-Raj Kundra love story (see rare pics)
- US to closely examine India's Chabahar deal with Iran
- Flipkart Big Shopping Days: 10 deals you should not miss