The sources said a three-member enquiry committee headed by Principal Secretary (Home) Suresh Babu has been constituted to probe yesterday's incident and the panel would submit its report to the government for further action within a week.
The police fired yesterday to disperse supporters of a ‘general strike' called to demand the arrest of a Naga militant who allegedly molested a film actress on December 18.
Thangjam Nanao Singh alias Dwijamanti, a journalist with ‘Prime Time' news channel who also contributed pictures to Doordarshan, was killed in the police firing while taking pictures during the strike at Thangmeiband area in Imphal West district.
Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh, who met a delegation of All Manipur Working Journalists Union last evening, had given an assurance that all possible action would be taken to book the police personnel involved in the incident. He had also told the delegation that steps would be taken to prevent the recurrence of such incidents in the future, sources said.
Meanwhile, Manipur Film Forum (MFF), which had called the ‘indefinite general strike', said the strike has been suspended from midnight yesterday till midnight of December 26 in deference to and wishes of general public particularly Christians in view of the Christmas, a spokesman said.
The general strike, which began from December 22, had been called demanding arrest of NSCN-IM militant Livingstone Anal who had allegedly molested film actress Momoko during a musical concert at Chandel area besides manhandling two other artistes who tried to save her by opening fire. The bullets missed the duo.
While the state government said Anal could not be arrested immediately since NSCN-IM was engaged in peace process with the Centre, several social organisations and lawyers said Anal could be arrested since he had committed crime.
The ceasefire between the Centre and NSCN-IM has been in force in Nagaland and not in Manipur, official sources said.PTI
From Our Network
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- Chart prepared! Don't worry, you can still book train tickets
- ISIS executes 250 women for refusing to be sex slaves: Report
- Haryana government rechristens Gurgaon as Gurugram, Mewat as Nuh
- Kashmir firing: Death toll mounts to 3, curfew imposed in Handwara town
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special