Accompanied by security personnel, 61-year-old Colangelo was brought to the state capital by road from Sorada in Ganjam district after being released at a place near Daringbadi in Kandhamal district.
Colangelo, however, met Italian media persons at the hotel while Indian journalists were not allowed inside to have an interaction with him.
“He was straight taken to a luxury hotel where Consul General had been waiting for his return,” a senior police officer said adding that the Italian national was likely to meet other state government official tomorrow morning.
Colangelo was also likely to undertake a brief visit to Puri from where he had left for trekking expedition to tribal-dominated Kandhamal district along with Paolo Bosusco.
While Colangelo was freed today morning his compatriot Paolo was still held captive by the Maoists.
Melchiori had been camping at the state capital here ever since the news of Italian nationals taken hostage by the members of the out-lawed CPI (Maoist) came to the fore.
The duo were abducted by the Maoist from Ganjam-Kandhamal district border on March 14.
From Our Network
- Dawood Ibrahim on death bead, has incurable gangrene: Report
- Police denies Kanhaiya’s ‘strangle’ allegations; accused passenger dubs it as ‘cheap publicity’
- New lease of life to four in three cities: dying Indore youth’s parting gift
- ISIS executes 250 women for refusing to be sex slaves: Report
- US cruise ship travels to Cuba after over 50 years
- Rio Olympics controversy: Aishwarya Rai defends appointment of Salman Khan as Goodwill ambassador
- Apple to give iPhone 7s a miss, to launch iPhone 8 next year: Report
- PM Modi, Amit Shah ordered staged shootout in Ishrat Jahan case, says Congress
- If you can relate to any of these 5 signs then you might be a ‘genius’
- Baba Ramdev’s Patanjali doubles revenue in FY 15, clocks Rs 5,000 cr turnover