Less than a day after stepping down as Bihar Chief Minister in a stunning political manoeuvre that relegated his alliance partner RJD to the opposition, Nitish Kumar today took oath of office as the head of the government joining hands with the BJP to reclaim the government. Calling off the grand alliance or ‘mahagathbandhan’ between JD(U), Congress and Lalu Prasad Yadav’s Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD), Nitish on Wednesday decided to reunite with its old ally BJP for his sixth term as the chief minister.
Nitish back as Bihar CM, LIVE Updates:
* 6: 41 PM: Every few years Nitish Kumar takes oath as CM from different alliances.Quite a record. Straightforward political opportunism: Sitaram Yechury
* 6:41 PM: We including Sharad ji had no idea that such a big development would happen overnight. We are surprised: Ali Anwar, JDU
* 6:40 PM: Sharad ji is concerned over Nitish Kumar's decision.In 1-2 days Sharad ji will talk to senior leaders of all national parties-Arun Kumar, JDU
* 6:30 PM: Nitish ji did not consult any senior leader of the party so we think it is his personal decision: run Kumar, JDU after meeting
* 5:34 PM: JD(U) MP Ali Anwar arrives to meet former party president Sharad Yadav at his residence in Delhi
* 5: 26 PM: Central agencies are already doing their job (in cases against Lalu and family): Sushil Modi
* 5:23 PM: State govt will probe cases that come under our purview: Sushil Modi, Bihar Deputy CM, to India TV
* 5:11 PM: Affection of children & family makes person weak in politics. Nitish Kumar walks alone & with honesty. That is why he is successful: Maheshwar Yadav, RJD MLA
* 5:11 PM: Nitish ji's habbit is that he does not keep stained people in his coalition, that is why the alliance got broken: Maheshwar Yadav
* 5:10 PM: Most of the MLAs of our party were of the opinion that Tejashwi should resign so that alliance and govt remain saved: Maheshwar Yadav, RJD
* 5:10 PM: RJD MLA Maheshwar Yadav differs with party leadership, says Tejashwi should have resigned
* 5:05 PM: Chhapra DM Harihar Prasad attacked by RJD workers when he went to clear a road blocked by protesters
* 4:56 PM: RJD workers allegedly attack Chhapra DM and SP with batons
* 4:55 PM: RJD workers clash with police in Chhapra, pelt stones on SP and DM
* PM questioned political DNA of Nitish Kumar. It has been proved that DNAs of JDU & BJP are identical, its opportunism, says Congress spokesperson Randeep Surjewala
* Thank PM for wishes. There'll be no compromise on corruption, sure Bihar will go towards development with cooperation from centre: Nitish Kumar
* Nitish Kumar ka ye antim hai. Vinaash kaale viprit buddhi: Lalu Yadav
* This is all fake news from Delhi: Lalu Yadav when asked if he was approached to break unity in lieu of some incentive
* Considering to appeal in Supreme court against Governor's decision: Lalu Prasad Yadav
* Nitish Kumar to prove majority in Bihar Assembly's special session on July 28
* Some media who we had thought were good, they took supari. See how the US media is fighting Trump, here media fights opposition: Lalu Yadav
* Amit Shah is the Super Editor, he decides how news should be & he tells owners of media, who tells editors, not reporters fault: Lalu Yadav
* Hum boley Shankar bhagwan ki tarah jao, raaj karo, par yeh toh Bhasmasur nikla: Lalu Yadav about what he had said to Nitish Kumar earlier
* Ye match fix tha. Maine koi takleef Nitish ko nahi diya hai: Lalu Prasad Yadav
* On many occasions, Nitish met PM Modi, had lunch. The timing of whatever happened was already fixed: Lalu Prasad Yadav, RJD Chief
* Nakli chhavi bana kar Nitish khud ko PM material batate the. Chahta to mai Nitish ko CM nahi banata, sirf 71 vidhayak the: Lalu Yadav
* I put a tika on his forehead,said go rule the state, I had no greed in my heart, else why would I nominate him as Chief Minister: Lalu Yadav
* Nitish Kumar bolte the ki mai mitti me miljaaunga lekin BJP se haath nahi milaaunga: Lalu Prasad Yadav
* Nitish Kumar is huge opportunist. The mandate was against BJP, to throw out Modi-Shah out of Bihar. They said I was a beef eater: Lalu Yadav
* Past 15-20 yrs I have been fighting cases in courts. I was sentenced in a hurry. There was a conspiracy between Nitish and BJP: Lalu Yadav
Narendra Modi ne achhe din, naukri ka jhansa diya, dhong racha: Lalu Prasad Yadav pic.twitter.com/OE93QtPBLJ— ANI (@ANI) July 27, 2017
It is regrettable there is no Gandhiji among us to unite this country. Amit Shah & Modi's khandan of Godse - RSS killed him: Lalu Yadav pic.twitter.com/5ntkWIWPy6— ANI (@ANI) July 27, 2017
* People of Bihar are angry with Nitish Kumar's decision: Lalu Prasad Yadav
Bihar bohot jagrook pradesh hai; aaj gaon-gaon ke log naraaz hain:Lalu Prasad Yadav pic.twitter.com/hvaYcoXl9l— ANI (@ANI) July 27, 2017
I entered in govt with a clean slate with a keen desire of writing a positive story for people of Bihar, only to find an opportunist rival!— Tejashwi Yadav (@yadavtejashwi) July 27, 2017
Whenever there is change in a system, however unjust, those at vantage point were bound to get irked. Repercussions were expected & imminent— Tejashwi Yadav (@yadavtejashwi) July 27, 2017
Past baggage, though unjustified, didn't perturb me when I was entrusted to carry the expectations of people's mandate, in the role of DyCM!— Tejashwi Yadav (@yadavtejashwi) July 27, 2017
* If there was a problem with Tejashwi, Nitish Kumar should have suspended him, or called a Congress-JD(U)-RJD meeting. Betraying the mahagathbandhan is not ideal: Digvijaya Singh
* "Nitishji has always talked about morality. Is this morality? People gave vote to you for going agains the BJP-Sangh," said Digvijaya Singh.
* Was there any train missing? Seemed like there is some theft or burglary going on... No morality at all: Congress general secretary Digvijaya Singh
* Frequent change of stand by Nitish Kumar doesn't show him in good light: HP CM Virbhadra Singh
* Development a priority, will take Bihar to new heights: Sushil Modi after swearing in as the deputy CM
Development will be a priority, will take Bihar to greater heights: Sushil Modi after being sworn-in as Bihar Deputy CM pic.twitter.com/Id6GAyeyyd— ANI (@ANI) July 27, 2017
* JDU to be part of Central cabinet, likely to be offered two ministerial posts, says sources.
* We have taken the decision keeping development and prosperity of Bihar in mind. Will take the state on the path of growth: Nitish Kumar
* 'Will respond at the right time': Bihar CM Nitish Kumar on Rahul Gandhi's allegations.
* Rahul Gandhi said he and party knew about Nitish's plans to reunite with BJP from the last three-four months.
Mandate was given to Nitish ji for the anti-communal fight but now he has joined hands with them for his personal politics: Rahul Gandhi pic.twitter.com/yNkEKoJWge— ANI (@ANI) July 27, 2017
* Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi says, "Nitish Kumar betrayed both Congress and Bihar, had not given any such indication during the meeting".
* Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulates Nitish Kumar and Sushil Modi after taking oath as Bihar CM and deputy Cm respectively.
* RJD protest march canceled after Section 144 imposed around Raj Bhavan in Patna.
* Sushil Modi takes oath as Bihar deputy CM
Sushil Modi takes oath as the Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar, at Raj Bhawan in Patna. pic.twitter.com/2USRd97f9V— ANI (@ANI) July 27, 2017
* Nitish Kumar takes oath, sworn in as Bihar Cm for the sixth time.
Patna: Nitish Kumar sworn-in as Chief Minister of Bihar for the sixth time pic.twitter.com/gZabGGkKdN— ANI (@ANI) July 27, 2017
* Bihar Governor Keshri Nath Tripathi reaches Raj Bhavan for the swearing-in ceremony.
* Nitish Kumar, Sushil Modi reach Raj Bhavan, to take oath at 10 am
Nitish Kumar reaches Raj Bhawan in Patna, to be sworn in as Bihar Chief Minister shortly. pic.twitter.com/E6WNj3C9Fe— ANI (@ANI) July 27, 2017
Sushil Modi reaches Raj Bhawan in Patna, set to be sworn in as Bihar Deputy Chief Minister. pic.twitter.com/vGlp0Ma3MS— ANI (@ANI) July 27, 2017
* Sources said former JD(U) president Sharad Yadav is discontent with Nitish Kumar's decision to form government with BJP. He is reported to have said that Nitish took the decision in a hurry, and he should have asked me.
Koi Nitish je upar daag nahi laga sakta, humari party apni raai rakhegi aur nyalay tak isko ghaseetegi: Sanjay Singh,JDU on RJD allegations pic.twitter.com/NLoKxUIp5V— ANI (@ANI) July 27, 2017
* My conscience doesn't allow me to support Nitish Kumar's decision for forming government with BJP
* Preparations underway for the swearing-in ceremony at Raj Bhawan in Patna
Scene outside Raj Bhawan in Patna; preparations underway as Nitish Kumar set to be sworn in as Bihar Chief Minister for the 6th time today pic.twitter.com/0R5knvMC0L— ANI (@ANI) July 27, 2017
* RJD supporters block Mahatma Gandhi Setu, connecting north Bihar with Patna, over Nitish Kumar’s resignation and forming government in alliance with BJP.
* Former chief minister of Uttar Pradesh, Akhilesh Yadav took a dig at the BJP-JD(U) alliance through a tweet. “Na Na karte pyaar tumhi se kar bethe, karna tha inkar, magar ikraar tumhi se kar bethe,” Yadav tweeted.