Taliban today killed 15 Afghan security personnel in Afghanistan's Kunduz province, Pajhwok Afghan News reported. The attack comes days ahead of a three-day ceasefire timed to coincide with the Eid al-Fitr holiday marking the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
The Taliban announced the upcoming ceasefire on Saturday, saying they would continue to defend themselves if attacked and would continue targeting foreign forces. The government announced the ceasefire last week.
The holiday, and the ceasefire, is expected to begin later this week.
Terrorist attack on education department foiled in Jalalabad, 4 millitants killed
In another incident, a terrorist attack on education department in Jalalabad was foiled today as security forces gunned down four millitants.
The attack took place at about 9:50 am local time after a suicide bomber detonated his explosives close to the education department. Three other attackers were then gunned down by security forces after a 10 minute gunfight, provincial governor spokesman Attullah Khogyani told local media house TOLO News.
“There is no report on casualties yet but all attackers have been shot dead by the security forces,” Khoghyani said.
Nangarhar provincial governor's spokesman also said security forces seized a vehicle loaded with explosives outside the education department after the attack. In the meantime, Asif Shinwari, the head of the education department also confirmed the attack.
However, health officials later confirmed 10 people were taken to a local hospital after being wounded in the attack. One person was reportedly in a critical condition. No group including the Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.