1. You Are At:
  2. Home
  3. India News
  4. Yasin Bhatkal admits carrying out 2011 Mumbai blasts

Yasin Bhatkal admits carrying out 2011 Mumbai blasts

New Delhi: Indian Mujahideen co-founder Yasin Bhatkal, arrested in connection with the 2011 Mumbai serial blasts case, has told the Maharashtra police's Anti-Terror Squad or ATS that he feels satisfied with the blasts and has

India TV News Desk [ Updated: July 05, 2014 13:14 IST ]
yasin bhatkal admits carrying out 2011 mumbai blasts
yasin bhatkal admits carrying out 2011 mumbai blasts

New Delhi: Indian Mujahideen co-founder Yasin Bhatkal, arrested in connection with the 2011 Mumbai serial blasts case, has told the Maharashtra police's Anti-Terror Squad or ATS that he feels satisfied with the blasts and has no remorse for what he did.


Rather, he was proud of himself for carrying out the blast successfully.

The Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA), under which Bhatkal is charged with, authorises a DCP-level officer to record the confessional statement of the accused.

When Deputy Commissioner of Police Kishore Jadhav asked Bhatkal as to why he wants to give confessional statement, he said, "I don't regret for the blast that I have carried out and therefore, I want to give confessional statement."

Bhatkal's aide Asadullah Akthar also reportedly told the police in the confessional statement, that he too does not regret the blast carried out by him.

In the confessional statement, both the accused stated the details of the blasts carried out by them in various places in the country since 2005 to avenge the 2002 Godhra riots, sources said.

Bhatkal was arrested by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) from Bihar last year and is currently in the custody of Maharashtra ATS.

The ATS had on June 16 filed a 300-page supplementary chargesheet against Bhatkal and Akthar in connection with the 2011 triple blasts case.

According to ATS, Bhatkal was the key conspirator of three powerful blasts which ripped through crowded areas in Mumbai - Zaveri Bazar, Opera House and Kabutar Khana - on July 13, 2011, killing at least 21 people and injuring 141.

Bhatkal played an important role in procuring explosives and making Improvised Explosive Device (IED), police said.

Earlier, five accused - Naquee Ahmed, Nadeem Shaikh, Kanwar Pathrija, Haroon Naik and Mohammed Qafeel Ansari - were held in the case and are facing trial under the stringent MCOCA, Indian Penal Code and other laws.

The Anti-Terrorism Squad of the Maharashtra Police on June 16 had filed a 300 page supplementary chargesheet against Bhatkal and his Akthar in connection with the 2011 triple blasts case.

Promoted Content

Write a comment

india-vs-england-2018
monsoon-climate-change