Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot was inside the Birla Auditorium nearby to oversee arrangements for the introspection camp of the party when the incident took place Wednesday night.
Some labourers saw a burning stick being thrown by two men on a motorcycle.
"Some labourers were setting up tents near the entrance of the auditorium, where Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi along with all senior party leaders will attend the party's Chintan Shivir, when they saw the two men," a police official told IANS.
The bike-borne men fled immediately.
"The tent went up in flames. With help of labourers, the fire was controlled within minutes," said the officer.
An investigation has been launched into the incident.
"Prima-facie, it seems the miscreants were in an inebriated state. We have ordered a probe into whether it was a pre-planned and intentional act," said the official.
Security has been stepped up inside and outside the Birla Auditorim, he added.
Aimed at paving the way for the return of the Congress-led United Progresive Alliance for a third consecutive term in 2014, the Chintan Shivir is scheduled to take place from Jan 18-20 here.
The conclave is expected to draw a roadmap for the party to counter the BJP in the assembly polls and the Lok Sabha elections.
From Our Network
- Humour has vanished from public discourse: PM Modi takes a dig at ‘intolerance’
- Tulsidasji, pranaam – writes ‘prodigal’ science topper Ruby Rai during re-test
- Pak PM Sharif wrote to 17 countries to scuttle India's NSG bid: Aziz
- Turkey president apologises to Vladmir Putin over death of Russian Pilot
- Post her divorce, Karisma Kapoor is eager for comeback on silver screen