Banerjee was attached with Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and had gone to Goa Portuguese Hotel for lunch with his wife and children, when he ended his life at around 4 pm, police said.
Banerjee, police said, fired a couple of rounds from his revolver, after a quarrel with his wife at the hotel.
The body has been sent to the Civil Hospital here for post-mortem.
Sources said, Banerjee was depressed as he was not getting his salaries for the last 9 months due to differences between the Home department and Finance department.
Banerjee, sources said, was also depressed because of a campaign against him by a renowned person.
Banerjee was inducted for alleged corrupt practices by former Mumbai police chief Julio Ribeiro, after which he was posted in Mumbai by the then home minister Jayant Patil.
From Our Network
- Indian banks refusing to recognise full extent of bad loans, says Uday Kotak
- Was advised to retire after Beijing Olympics: Sushil Kumar
- Congratulations! Tusshar Kapoor becomes a ‘single’ father to an adorable baby boy
- iPhone 7 images leaked, show larger camera design
- Pakistan cannot conquer Kashmir through war, says Hina Rabbani Khar