Banerjee was attached with Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and had gone to Goa Portuguese Hotel for lunch with his wife and children, when he ended his life at around 4 pm, police said.
Banerjee, police said, fired a couple of rounds from his revolver, after a quarrel with his wife at the hotel.
The body has been sent to the Civil Hospital here for post-mortem.
Sources said, Banerjee was depressed as he was not getting his salaries for the last 9 months due to differences between the Home department and Finance department.
Banerjee, sources said, was also depressed because of a campaign against him by a renowned person.
Banerjee was inducted for alleged corrupt practices by former Mumbai police chief Julio Ribeiro, after which he was posted in Mumbai by the then home minister Jayant Patil.
From Our Network
- Successful, suicidal and the boyfriend connection: What actresses’ death reveal about the glamour world
- 'Kim Yo-jong ka Swayamvayar': North Korean dictator turns matchmaker for his sister
- US lawmakers approve bill to accord NATO ally status to India
- Post marriage with Karan Singh Grover, Bipasha talks about her ‘pregnancy’ plans
- Hindu-Muslim couple convinced families for 3 years, married thrice