1. You Are At:
  2. English News
  3. India News
  4. India confirmed 300 active targets at Balakot JeM camp before IAF strike: Report

India confirmed 300 active targets at Balakot JeM camp before IAF strike: Report

NTRO, a technical intelligence agency, had found 300 mobile phones active at the facility, giving a clear indication of the total number of inmates housed there, sources told news agency ANI on Monday.

India TV News Desk India TV News Desk
New Delhi Updated on: March 04, 2019 23:06 IST
India confirmed 300 active targets at Balakot JeM camp before IAF strike: Report

India confirmed 300 active targets at Balakot JeM camp before IAF strike: Report 

The Indian intelligence agencies had reportedly confirmed the presence of 300 active targets at the Jaish-e-Mohammed terror camp at Balakot in Pakistan's Khyber Pashtun region before the Indian Air Force strike. 

The National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO), a technical intelligence agency, had found 300 mobile phones active at the facility, giving a clear indication of the total number of inmates housed there, sources told news agency ANI on Monday. 

NTRO had started surveillance of the facility after the IAF was given clearance to target the camp, the agency quoted sources as saying.

On February 26, 12 Mirage 2000 IAF jets penetrated deep inside the Pakistani air space and launched 1,000 kg Spice 2000 bombs at the camp in Balakot, which housed terrorists, including commanders, and an ammunition dump.

“During technical surveillance, it emerged that there was a presence of around 300 mobile phones with active signal strength inside the facility in the days leading up to the strike. The facility was destroyed by the IAF fighters,” added the sources who wished to remain anonymous due to first-hand involvement in operational matters. 

The sources added that other Indian intelligence agencies had also corroborated NTRO’s assessment of active targets with inputs of similar number of Jaish operatives in the Balkot facility. 

No official number of terrorists killed in the strike have been announced by the government.

However, IAF chief BS Dhanoa, at a press conference in Coimbatore on Monday, confirmed that the target had been destroyed by Indian fighter jets and that exact casualty numbers was something that the government would release.

Top government leadership gave approval for the air strikes on the Jaish training camp after the Pakistan-based terror outfit carried out the deadliest suicide attack in Kashmir when a CRPF convoy in Pulwama was targeted by a car bomb driven by a JeM terrorist that killed 40 security personnel on February 14. 

Hours after the air raid, Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale told the media here that the IAF fighters hit the largest militant camp of JeM in Balakot and “a large number of JeM terrorists, trainers, senior commanders were eliminated” in it.

In an intelligence-led operation, Indian fighter planes struck at the Jaish facility, Gokhale had said, calling the raids “pre-preemptive” action against the terrorists who were planning further attacks in India.

(With inputs from ANI)

FULL VIDEO:

Latest India News

Fight against Coronavirus: Full coverage

Write a comment

coronavirus
X