Saturday, February 24, 2024
Advertisement
  1. You Are At:
  2. News
  3. World
  4. 'I have already testified, nothing more to say': Trump as he cancels plans to testify at New York fraud trial

'I have already testified, nothing more to say': Trump as he cancels plans to testify at New York fraud trial

The former president, the leading contender for the 2024 Republican nomination, had been expected to return to the witness stand on Monday as a coda to his defence against New York Attorney General Letitia James ' lawsuit.

Ajeet Kumar Edited By: Ajeet Kumar @Ajeet1994 New York Published on: December 11, 2023 10:44 IST
Former US President Donald Trump.
Image Source : AP Former US President Donald Trump.

Former US President Donald Trump said he will not testify for a second time at his New York civil fraud trial-- he announced on social media a day before his scheduled appearance that he “very successfully & conclusively” testified last month and saw no need to do so again. The former president, the leading contender for the 2024 Republican nomination, had been expected to return to the witness stand Monday as a coda to his defence against New York Attorney General Letitia James ' lawsuit.

James, a Democrat, alleges Trump inflated his wealth on financial statements used in securing loans and making deals. The case threatens Trump’s real estate empire and cuts to the heart of his image as a successful businessman. “I will not be testifying on Monday,” Trump wrote in an all-capital-letters, a multipart statement on his Truth Social platform less than 20 hours before he was to take the witness stand.

“I have already testified to everything & have nothing more to say,” Trump added, leaving the final word among defence witnesses to an accounting expert hired by his legal team who testified last week that he found “no evidence, whatsoever, for any accounting fraud” in Trump’s financial statements.

“President Trump has already testified": Trump's lawyer

A Trump spokesperson did not immediately respond to questions about his decision. The decision was an abrupt change from Trump’s posture in recent days when his lawyers said he was insistent on testifying again despite their concerns about a gag order that has cost him $15,000 in fines for disparaging the judge’s law clerk.

“President Trump has already testified. There is really nothing more to say to a judge who has imposed an unconstitutional gag order and thus far appears to have ignored President Trump’s testimony and that of everyone else involved in the complex financial transactions at issue in the case,” Trump lawyer Christopher Kise said Sunday.

Trump’s decision came days after his son, Eric Trump, ditched his return appearance on the witness stand. Trump said on social media that he’d told Eric to cancel. It also follows Trump’s first trip back to court since he testified in the case on Nov. 6. Last Thursday, he watched from the defence table as the accounting professor, New York University professor Eli Bartov, blasted the state’s case and said Trump’s financial statements “were not materially misstated.”

Trump’s cancellation caught court officials by surprise. Without Trump on the witness stand, the trial will be on hold until Tuesday, when Bartov will finish his testimony. State lawyers say they’ll then call at least one rebuttal witness.

In a statement, James said whether Trump testified again or not, “we have already proven that he committed years of financial fraud and unjustly enriched himself and his family. No matter how much he tries to distract from reality, the facts don’t lie.”

Trump was often defiant and combative when he testified on November 6. Along with defending his wealth and denying wrongdoing, he repeatedly sparred with the judge, whom he criticized as “extremely hostile,” and slammed James as “a political hack.”

“This is not a political rally": Attorney

Trump answered questions from state lawyers for about 3½ hours, often responding with lengthy diatribes. His verbose answers irked the judge, Arthur Engoron, who admonished, “This is not a political rally.”

Had Trump returned to the stand Monday, it would’ve been his defence lawyers leading the questioning, but lawyers from James’ office could have cross-examined him, too.

Engoron ruled before the trial that Trump and other defendants engaged in fraud. He ordered that a receiver take control of some Trump properties, but an appeals court has paused that decision.

Engoron is now considering six other claims, including allegations of conspiracy and insurance fraud. James seeks penalties of more than $300 million and wants Trump banned from doing business in New York. The judge is deciding, rather than a jury because juries aren’t allowed in this type of case.

(With inputs from agency)

Read: Donald Trump Jr. returns to the stand as defence looks to undercut New York civil fraud claims

Also Read: Trump denies any wrongdoings, calls $250m New York trial 'ridiculous' as he enters courtroom to testify

Advertisement

Read all the Breaking News Live on indiatvnews.com and Get Latest English News & Updates from World

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement