Judicial Magistrate First Class Arjun Nallur admitted a private complaint here by the President of minority cell of the district Congress, Sayad W Addu, for Eshwarappa's speech allegedly "instigating" a particular community against others and violating the code of conduct for the May 5 assembly polls.
The complaint has been registered under certain sections of the CRPC and IPC by the court, which posted the case for June 1.
Addu, in his complaint, has prayed to the court to initiate criminal and defamation proceedings against Eshwarappa after the reported comments here.
Congress and a number of individuals have also filed complaints with the district authorities and the returning officer against Eshwarappa for alleged violation of the model code of conduct and instigating communal hatred, seeking "suitable" action against him.
Officials assured them of such action after verifying the video recorded during the programme. When contacted, Eshwarappa said, "I do not know about it. I stand by my comments."
From Our Network
- In India, alcohol kills a person every 96 minutes
- Cong invokes Panama Papers, targets Modi govt over Big B hosting anniversary event
- Second 'ad-wrapped' Metro train ready to hit tracks in Delhi
- Aha Love! Ash just did Q&A on Twitter and hubby Abhishek had a really important query
- ‘Queen’ of ‘Lies’? Not only age, Kangana Ranaut lied about getting Rs 11 crore for Rangoon too?