Argentina and Netherlands are set to face each other on Saturday in the second quarterfinal match of the FIFA World Cup 2022. Both teams will want to register a victory and seal the semifinal berth.
Before we dive into action, here is all you need to know about the upcoming game:
Head-to-head Details -
- Netherlands and Argentina are set to face each other in their sixth World Cup encounter.
- Out of their total nine meetings in all competitions, the Netherlands have remained unbeaten in eight matches and have suffered a loss in the year 1978 World Cup final. The last match between both the teams was in the 2014 World Cup semifinal.
Argentina vs Netherlands Head-To-Head:
- Matches won by Argentina - 1
- Matches won by Netherlands - 4
- Matches ended in a draw - 4
Let's look at some valuable insights:
- Interestingly, since losing the1930 final against Uruguay, Argentina's previous nine eliminations from the World Cup knockout rounds have come against European nations.
- On the other hand, the Netherlands have progressed from their last three World Cup quarterfinal matches - 1998, 2010, 2014.
Let's look at their journeys to the quarterfinals:
Argentina's road to Quarterfinals -
- Match 1: Argentina vs Saudi Arabia - Loser (1-2)
- Match 2: Argentina vs Mexico - Winner (2-0)
- Match 3: Argentina vs Poland - Winner (0-2)
- Round of 16: Argentina vs Australia - Winner (2-1)
Netherlands road to Quarterfinals -
- Match 1: Croatia vs Morocco - Draw (1-1)
- Match 2: Croatia vs Canada - Winner (4-1)
- Match 3: Croatia vs Belgium - Draw (0-0)
- Round of 16: Croatia vs Japan - Winner on penalties (3-1)