The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee hailed Gen Vaidya's killers at a function in the Golden Temple.
It offered religious prayers and honoured the kin of Harjinder Singh Jinda and Sukhdev Singh Sukha of the Khalistan Commando Force (KCF). The event was organised at the Golden Temple complex here to observe the death anniversaries of the two terrorists.
The SGPC presented 'siropas' (robe of honour) to Jinda's brother Bhupinder Singh and Sukha's kin Surjit Kaur after the prayers. The ceremony is held annually here.
Jinda and Sukha shot dead Vaidya in Pune in 1986 to seek revenge for the Operation Bluestar, the army operation in June 1984 to flush out terrorists holed up in the Golden Temple complex, which is the holiest of Sikh shrines.
The heavily armed terrorists, led by separatist leader Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, were holed up inside the shrine complex for months on.
Vaidya was the army chief when the operation was carried out. He settled in Pune after retirement. He was accompanied by only one securityman when the attack took place.
Jinda and Sukha were later arrested and tried for the killing of Vaidya. They were sentenced to death and hanged in 1992.
Lt.Gen.Brar was attacked by young men near Oxford Street in London Sep 30. He fought back and survived the attack. Brar, who led the Operation Bluestar as a major general, had been given Z-category security due to the threat to his life.
From Our Network
- Now, Shekhar Suman says Adhyayan never said Kangana did black magic
- Amma's poll manifesto: From Free phones to free gold, it's raining sops in Tamil Nadu
- Good-bye speculations: Salman Khan is finally getting married by end of this year
- Alastair Cook on the verge of breaking Sachin Tendulkar’s 11-year old record!
- Guess who is Ranbir Kapoor’s best friend in B-town now? Kangana Ranaut