In a shocking incident, a seven-year-old girl survived on water for five days after she accidentally fell into the washroom of her neighbour's house while playing on the terrace of an adjacent building on April 20. The incident was reported from Makhtal town in Narayanpet district of Telangana, about 160 km from Hyderabad.
The police investigation revealed that Kuravakacheri Akhila, a class II student, sustained no injuries after she fell into the bathroom, as a rope with clothes on it took the impact. Her cries for help went unanswered as the bathroom was bolted from outside while the house owner was away.
The girl was recovered lying in the bathroom in a state of shock after the house owner had returned from a tour on Thursday. With no food for five days and surviving only on the water available in the bathroom, the girl had turned very weak.
Her parents Suresh and Mahadevamma lodged a missing complaint the next day after their search yielded no result. According to sub-inspector of police B Ashok Kumar, the parents suspected she went missing from a local fair.
The police had formed a team and alerted police in adjacent districts and Hyderabad but found no clue.
It was on Wednesday, that the owner of the house returned from Hyderabad, where his family lives. Venkatesh, a teacher, said he was shocked to see the girl lying in bathroom. He alerted the neighbours, who identified her as the daughter of tenants behind their house.
Akhila, who was not even able to speak, was rushed to a local hospital, where she was administered saline.
Though schools have summer holidays, Venkatesh had returned to attend a marriage in the town.