Cricket Australia officials on Wednesday also told pace bowlers Ben Hilfenhaus and John Hastings to sit out the initial Big Bash round, while test hopeful Josh Hazlewood won't play for a month because of a foot injury.
Clarke, who plays for the Sydney Thunder, reported lower back stiffness after the third test loss to South Africa on Monday. Team performance general manager Pat Howard said "our medical staff have advised Michael not to play cricket this weekend."
Clarke, who has degenerative discs in his lower back, is expected to be named on Thursday in Australia's squad for the first test against Sri Lanka starting Dec. 14 in Hobart.
From Our Network
- US lawmakers approve bill to accord NATO ally status to India
- Rishi Kapoor gives epic reply to Congress supporters who named a Sulabh toilet after him
- Post marriage with Karan Singh Grover, Bipasha talks about her ‘pregnancy’ plans
- Hindu-Muslim couple convinced families for 3 years, married thrice
- Sarbananda Sonowal takes oath as first BJP chief minister of Assam